Light Gauge Steel Frame Construction
Southern Maze has completed numerous projects using light gauge steel frame, including construction of entire buildings up to seven floors high, for housing projects and for construction of internal walls, floors and partitions. We are also able to work with the different steel frame systems that are currently available in the marketplace.
Light gauge steel frame is becoming ever more popular, as it is a fast-build system that has many benefits over other construction methods. In particular, it is:
- very strong, it has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any building material
- 100% recyclable
- environmentally friendly, and has a 68% industry recycling rate
- non-combustible, it does not burn nor contribute fuel to the spread of a fire
- inorganic - will not rot, warp, split, crack or creep
- dimensionally stable - does not expand or contract with moisture content
- consistent material quality - produced in strict accordance with national standards, no regional variations.
Light gauge steel frame also has benefits for the builder that can lead to significant cost savings on construction projects:
- lighter than other framing materials
- simplifies material selection - no need to cull or sort the pile and small punch list
- cuts costs by reducing prelim time
- straight walls and square corners
- windows and doors open and close as they should
- less scrap and waste (2% for steel vs. 20% for timber)
- price stability in comparison with other construction methods.